
Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of every destination they visit. This fully updated edition is packed with accurate, practical and honest advice, designed to give you the information you need to make the most of your trip.
I just returned from 2 months traveling through Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize, and Guatemala. Because I was covering a lot of ground in a little time, I used the book extensively for the busing online travel guides information, which I found quite accurate. Bus departure times were much more reliable than I expected, though when possible I always asked around and tried to arrive a little online travel guides early. Prices overall were also reasonably close, even in Honduras where they include a disclaimer that prices were extremely low during their research due to the drama with President Zelaya.
The biggest inaccuracies seemed to be with restaurants either no longer online travel guides existing, or not being all they were cracked up to be, so I found it more useful to ask around. With hostels and hotels, I was bummed that lp s our pick was often out of typical backpacker price range and many of the lower priced rooms were really talked up. You ll have to learn to read between the lines if you re traveling on a really low budget: well scrubbed might actually mean brightly painted and simple might mean dirty and the toilet doesn t work.
I loved the idea of the green index, but in practice, didn t use it once. It felt like lp just threw that in there to make it seem like they cared, but didn t really put any effort into it. The 2 page index leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of warning online travel guides that some hardwoods sold in the markets are endangered, tell me which hardwoods are endangered and which are ok to buy. Same thing with seafood tell me which are harvested sustainably in which areas. Lp was especially contradictory in this respect, noting that I shouldn t eat conch or lobster outside their seasons in Belize, online travel guides but constantly recommending lobster dishes in Utila, Honduras (where they have no lobster season and harvesting online travel guides is never very sustainable).
Another, minor, qualm I had was their budget approximations in the beginning of each country chapter. These are budgets if you are doing little to nothing other than eating and sleeping and maybe one inexpensive activity. I ll admit, this could easily just be my own misunderstanding of how to use the book, maybe that s what lp intended, but I didn t have lots of research time before my trip so I used these budgets as a baseline online travel guides and it didn t work for me.
Overall, I did find this book extremely useful and the negatives above are meant as constructive criticisms and things I would ve liked to know beforehand. Lonely Planet Central online travel guides America on a Shoestring helped me significantly during my travels, but you ll never fully experience a place relying solely on a book so just make sure you don t expect the world from it and you ll likely be very happy!
Formatting a guidebook for an e-book reader presents challenges that LP clearly has not worked out yet. First are the maps: if shown whole, they are too tiny to be readable; if cut into pieces, each piece shows a tiny area. Worse, the legend, with names of hotels, restaurants, etc. is often cut in two, literally breaking words and rendering it useless. (An interim solution: anyone buying online travel guides a Kindle guidebook can download, for free, a packet of PDF maps for that guidebook.)
The use of icons telephone, WiFi, clocks taller than the text causes online travel guides ragged spaces to appear between lines. online travel guides Bad links often lead to unrelated text elsewhere in the book. It is difficult to navigate; one has to return to the table of contents and click on country, online travel guides region, etc. There is no index in the back.
Some sections of the book are riddled with errors that make one question whether anyone is minding the store. The Costa Rica chapter, for example, is loaded with typographical boo-boos: what should be an apostrophe instead looks like the two Chinese characters for blind proofreader. online travel guides Even the capital, San José, is rendered San Josã .
As e-book readers grow in sophistication, and if Lonely Planet dedicates itself to exploiting the new medium creatively, Kindle could be an effective vehicle for guidebooks. As of now, however, I would avoid this Kindle failure and buy the paper edition.
I have been to 43 countries and lived in 10 so I think that I am qualified to rate a travel book. I usually take a look at other travel guides online travel guides out there but still can t find a better overall guide than Lonely Planet. It gives you information that you won t easily stumble over on the internet and is always pretty much up-to-date.
Recent Comments Jeremy L on Out of Time: A story of archaeology sort of Reviews Anonymous on Chess for Children: online travel guides How to Play the World s Most Popular Board Game Guy Chamberlin on Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual: Completely Revised and Updated Reviews R. Ballard on SURVIVING THE DEATH OF A SIBLING: Living Through Grief When an Adult Brother or Sister Dies Reviews Anonymous on Fruits Basket Uncovered: The Secrets of the Sohmas online travel guides (Mysteries and Secrets Revealed!) Reviews Archives
No comments:
Post a Comment